Everyone tells you that being a parent is pricey, but I don’t think you realize just how pricey it is until you’re a parent. And the funny thing is, some of the expenses that are adding up, aren’t ones you thought were going to be affected by having kids. But, we’ve compiled a list of money-saving products that will save moms a ton of money in the long run!
This article may contain affiliate links, you can read more about this on our disclosure page here.
Money-Saving Products for the Kitchen
1. Reusable products – There are a ton of different kinds of reusable products nowadays! A few really great money-saving -reusable products are:
2. Water flavorings – If you are one of those people that just can’t stand the taste of plain water, you might want to look into water flavorings, as an alternative to buying flavored drinks or sodas. There are even water flavorings that have energy boosters in them, and some that taste like different sodas! (We love the root beer ones.)
3. Water pitcher with filter – If you buy bottled water, you can easily eliminate that cost by buying a pitcher that filters water, and put it in your fridge to use to put into refillable water bottles.
4. Steam mop – A steam mop is perfect for homes with a lot of hard floors. Swiffer pads are quite pricey, and they go quick in any house with kids or pets!
5. Hand towels – Paper towels are so convenient and wonderful. But they add up fast. Buy some hand towels and rags to help reduce the cost of paper products. Try to challenge yourself to use only one roll a week!
6. Produce saver containers – Produce is such a pain. It goes bad so fast, and you’re out all the money AND you can’t use it for whatever you planned to make that day. Try a produce saving container to lengthen the life of your produce.
7. Coffee maker – For the people who need their coffee every day, a coffee maker can save tons of money if you’re stopping at the coffee shop once a day. If you don’t like the traditional coffee maker, try the Keurig style, it makes making coffee so much easier and faster!
8. A second trash can -Having a second trash can is actually a great way to save money
on trash bags. How? Well, one can be for things that need to go in a trash bag, such as anything wet or sticky. The other trash can be used without a trash bag in it, for stuff that doesn’t need to be in a trash bag, like bulky items, milk cartons, boxes, any packaging, paper towels, etc. We use our second trash can for recyclables, and take it and dump it directly into the recycling trash can!
9. Crockpot and/or InstantPot – Having a way to make food fast and convenient will help on saving money on eating out. If you know your day is going to be long, start something in the crockpot so that dinner is ready to eat when you get home. And InstantPots are great for getting things cooked FAST. (We use ours for rice, soups, and potatoes mostly, but it’s great for eggs, meats, and a bunch of other things too!)
10. Glass tupperware – Glass tupperware will last you much longer than plastic. While this may sound silly, it’s actually more durable than plastic. Plastic tupperware stains, and breaks so often. They are also 10x harder to clean than glass. Don’t waste money by buying new tupperware all the time, get a set that’s built to last.
11. Silicone baking mats – Silicone baking mats eliminate the use of aluminum foil while baking. They are also easier to clean, and will preserve the life of your baking sheets!
Products For Saving Money On Laundry
1. Washer ball – These washer balls are so cool! They eliminate the need for laundry detergent, while still keeping your clothes fresh and clean! They are advertised to last 1,000 washes!
2. Dryer ball – Dryer balls eliminate the need for dryer sheets, and they cut down dry time. You can add essential oils to them to add a natural scent!
Money-Saving Products For Entertainment
1. Amazon Prime – Amazon prime is actually a really great way to save money. It’s very fairly priced for all of the different features it has. A few features that come with Amazon prime are:
- Free shipping
- Prime Music (alternative to Pandora, Spotify, etc.)
- Prime TV (alternative to Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
- Subscribe and save (by setting up products to ship automatically, it saves a ton! Items such as toilet paper, diapers, paper towels, etc.)
You can try your Free Amazon Prime 30-day Trial, and you can cancel at any time!
2. Cable TV replacement – Cable is SO expensive. Using a streaming service such as Netflix or Hulu can save you upwards of $100 a month!
Products for Saving Money On Personal Care Items
1. Makeup remover towel – These makeup remover towels work great, and will save you tons of money on disposable remover Menstrual cup
2. Menstrual cups – Menstrual cups, such as the diva cup, are a crazy cool alternative to tampons. People are raving about the diva cup, and for good reason! Tampons are pricey.
3. Reusable cloth pads – Cloth pads will save you money on feminine care products, but it’s also much better for your vaginal health when you’re wearing cotton pads rather than store-bought scented pads and liners.
4. Reusable lint roller – Lint rollers are quite pricey, and they go pretty fast depending on what you’re using it for. You can use reusable lint rollers on clothing as well as furniture!
5. The 3-in-1 potty seat – This super cool 3-in-1 potty chair is awesome! You can use it as it is, a little potty. And then you can take the top off and place it directly onto the toilet, to make it a more comfortable seat. AND you take the bottom part and flip it over, and it turns into a stool! How stinkin’ cool is that?!
Other Miscellaneous Products That Can Save You Money
1. Gym membership – I know, this sounds ridiculous. But, a gym membership CAN save you money. How? Well, if you’re dedicated to getting in shape, and you’re going to the gym, you’re less likely to eat out and spend money on unhealthy treats. If your membership costs $20 a month, and it helps you to eat out 1 time per week less than you normally would, it pays for itself. Not to mention, living healthier will save you money on healthcare in the long run!
2. Cash envelop – Getting a cash envelope system can help you stay motivated to use cash rather than a card. Some people spend MUCH less when they’re using cash instead of a card. This is great for people trying to stick to a budget. Once the cash is gone, it’s gone.
3. Rewards credit card – If you can handle using credit cards responsibly, getting a credit card with a rewards program is a great way to get extra money. We use our credit card for all of our bills. At the end of the year, we cash out our rewards for either cash back or gift cards, and that’s what we use to buy Christmas presents! We try not to spend ANY extra money on Christmas than what we get back in rewards.
What other products have you bought that have saved your family money?
Don’t forget to check out these related articles:
If you found this article helpful, we’d love if you’d help us out by doing any of the following: