It’s officially the best time of the year, Christmas time! Everyone loves Christmas. And there are many different ways to celebrate the holiday season, and one way for children to get into the holiday spirit is by reading some Christmas books for kids!
Christmas books are the perfect addition to the holiday season, it will get your kids ready and excited for Christmas. Books also make great Christmas presents for kids. Be sure to add some of these to your child’s gift list this year!
This article may contain affiliate links, this means that we earn commissions if you shop through the links below. You can read more about this on our disclosure page, here.
1. Secret Santas And The Twelve Days of Christmas Giving by Courtney Petruzzelli and Illustrated by Melissa B. Snyder
It can be easy for kids to forget what Christmas is all about, kindness and cheer! And this book is great at encouraging that by participating in the 12 Days of Christmas Giving.
2. Santa’s Lost Reindeer by Rachel Hilz and Illustrated by Remesh Ram
Finding a truly funny book can be hard, but this Christmas book is perfect! It’s a fun rhyming book that will get your kids chuckling as Santa searches for his lost reindeer!
3. Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
This children’s book is great for so many reasons! It focuses on spreading joy but also touches on conservation and recycling! It’s an all-around fun book with great messages for kids.
4. How to Catch an Elf by Adam Wallace and Illustrated by Andy Elkerton
This book is a part of the “How to Catch” books. It is a fun book that you can easily turn into real-life situations in your own home using similar STEAM concepts.
Don’t forget to check out our Stocking Stuffer Guide!
5. The Christmas Promise Storybook: A True Story from the Bible about God’s Forever King by Alison Mitchell and Illustrated by Catalina Echeverri
This book is wonderful for Christian families. It is a Bible-centered version of the Christmas story. It’s perfect for teaching kids about Jesus’ birth. Something really cool about this book is that you can get it in paperback, hardcover, or as a board book.
6. Little Red Sleigh by Erin Guendelsberger and Illustrated by Elizaveta Tretyakova
This children’s book is a heart-warming story about reaching for your dreams no matter how big! It also encourages growth mindset for young kids.
7. 25 Days of the Christmas Story: An Advent Family Experience by Dr. Josh Straub and Christi Straub and Illustrated by Jane Butler
This book is another perfect one for a Christian home. It’s very educational! It talks about 25 different people, places, or objects that are all related to Jesus’ birth. Each day has a different activity to do as a family to dive deeper into the theme of that day.
8. A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa’s Tasty Trip Around the World by M.E. Furman and Illustrated by Susan Gal
This children’s Christmas book is super fun! It teaches kids about all different kinds of cultures and how people spend their Christmas’ differently. It focuses on many different traditions, food, and celebrations from all over the world.
9. 5 More Sleeps ‘til Christmas by Jimmy Fallon and Illustrated by Rich Deas
Another funny Christmas book for the win! This one is truly a children’s book, as it counts down the nights of sleep until Christmas, which is precisely how young kids count! This book is a great way to get your kids excited about Christmas morning.
10. The Christmas Quest by Janet Surette and Illustrated by Cesar Samaniego
This Christmas book is a board book, so it’s great for young kids who are more likely to tear paperback pages. It’s an interesting book because it focuses on the lesser-known wise men searching for Jesus after his birth.
11. Construction Site on Christmas Night by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Illustrated by AG Ford
This kid’s book is part of a collection, all perfect for kids who are into construction! It combines Christmas with construction in a fun way that teaches the value of hard work.
12. Pete the Cat’s 12 Groovy Days of Christmas by James and Kimberly Dean
Pete the Cat is a popular children’s series, and they have a Christmas book too! This book plays on the 12 Days of Christmas theme, where Pete gives you something each day.
13. The Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan Ahlberg and Illustrated by Janet Ahlberg
This children’s book is awesome because it’s an interactive book! Kids can actually take out and read the Christmas cards that the postman delivers around the neighborhood. There are lots of hidden jokes and classic fairytale characters, making this book fun for kids of all ages.
14. With Jesus I Give by Good News Meditations and G.L. Charles
This Christmas book is great for teaching kids the true meaning of Christmas and gift-giving. It’s a realistic storyline that is easy for kids to follow. It has a focus on Jesus, so it’s great for a Christian family.
15. The Christmas Pig by J. K. Rowling and Illustrated by Jim Field
This Christmas story is perfect for older kids who like fantasy books. It mixes Christmas and fantasy in a fun and exciting way. It was written by JK Rowling, so you know it’s good!
16. Cats Don’t Like Christmas! by Andy Wortlock and Illustrated by Nahum Ziersch
This book is for cat-loving kids! It’s a cute story about how a cat feels with all of the Christmas decorations taking over the house.
17. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson and Illustrated by Laura Cornell
This Christmas book is a hilarious version of the classic Christmas story mixed in with deep meaning and a powerful message about the true meaning of Christmas. It’s a shorter chapter book for older kids but still has some great illustrations.
18. Celebrating Christmas: History, Traditions, and Activities – A Holiday Book for Kids by Sarah Cooley
Different from the rest of this list, this book is a non-fiction, kid-friendly book about Christmas. It describes the holiday and traditions from around the world and lists different Christmas activities to try.
Final Thoughts On Christmas Books for Kids
Hopefully, this list of books gave you some ideas of stories to read with your child during the holiday season! We would love it if you would share some of your family’s favorite Christmas books in the comments below so we can add them to the list!
Related Articles from Motivation for Mom:
Kayla is the content creator over at motviationformom.com. She is a wife and mother who loves to share all of the tips, tricks, and life lessons that she has learned over the years with all of her readers. Her primary focus is on children’s education, motherhood, and healthy family relationships!