6 Ways to Save A LOT of Money Each Month that You Might Not Have Thought Of

Everyone is always looking to save money! If they are struggling financially, they need money to live a little easier. And if they have enough money to live, they’re looking to save money so they can have a little more fun. No matter your position, here are six ways to save money!
1. First and most importantly, set up a budget plan.

To see where you can save money, you have to first see where you’re spending it. Write out each expense that you have, along with your income. My favorite way of seeing my budget is by creating a spreadsheet, then you can add to it and it will automatically calculate your totals for you! You can use Excel, and if you don’t have Microsoft and don’t want to pay for it you can use Open Office, it’s free and it works just as well.

Budget, Plan, Money, Accounting

2. See what you can completely eliminate.

In my opinion, the easiest expense to cut out for our family was cable. We never used it, because we always just watched Netflix or Hulu. And both of those total about $15.00 per month!

3. Pay for what you can in cash.

I prefer to pay for most of my variable expenses in cash, like date night/dining out, any allowances you give yourself to spend, and most importantly…GROCERIES! I had NO idea how much I spent in groceries each month, and it seemed if I was using a credit card that I wasn’t seeing exactly how much was being spent. So I give myself a set amount of cash every two weeks, and I don’t let myself go over, unless it’s an emergency of course. I have separate envelopes in my wallet for each category so I can make sure I’m staying organized.

4. Meal plan!

I cannot stress enough how important meal planning is when it comes to cutting down on your grocery bill. If you don’t have a plan, you end up buying random things that don’t get used, and eventually go bad. I know that meal planning takes a lot of time, but I suggest at least planning for dinners. I do a meal plan for a two week period, which is how often I go grocery shopping. Also, if you can cut down on how much meat your family is eating that will save you a lot of money. Meat is SO expensive! If you want to make some on the go meals, I suggest getting a set of reusable containers. Here’s a free printable of the meal plan and grocery list I’ve created. Black ink only to save on ink(;

5. Transfer your debt to save money on interest.

If you have a lot of credit card debt, I highly suggest looking into transferring it to a card that has either lower interest, or a card that has a long period of no interest. If a credit card isn’t an option, look into a debt consolidation loan. I attached a link here that shows a few different options of credit cards, and who they would benefit the most.

6. Create separate accounts.

This technique SAVED my family. By creating separate accounts to put your money into you can always make sure you have enough for bills, activities and emergencies. Here’s an example of the accounts I currently have:

-Car Insurance(my car insurance is paid every 6 months, so every month I put a sixth of it away in this account, and I just use this money when I need to pay it.)

-Car Registration/Repairs

-Emergency Fund

-Home Repairs

-Vacation Fund

-Mortgage Payment

-Bills on the Credit Card (I total what all the bills that charge to my credit card add up to, and I put that amount in this account so that I can transfer it to my card at the end of the month. This is the most effective way I’ve found to make sure that I’m not charging to my card more than I can afford to pay off each month).

For additional ways to save money each month, click here!

What are some things you do each month to save money?

43 Comments

1. Katie

April 18, 2017 at 2:22 pm

It’s so interesting to see what works for some people! I personally can’t do the cash thing. It’s like free money to me. All the automatic deposits and my payroll being direct deposit, my balance is more real to me in my account than in my hand. Lots of great info here though!

April 18, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Yes either people love to spend cash or they love to save it! Weird how it’s so different to everyone.

2. Caroline Thompson

April 18, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Awesome advice! We just canceled our cable which will save us a ton every year. 🙂

April 19, 2017 at 7:58 pm

It’s crazy how much cable costs! I think they are making their prices even higher to try to counteract losing so much business to Netflix and Hulu.

3. Mattie

April 18, 2017 at 8:39 pm

We just cut cable and it is saving us over $100 a month! Such a good way to save! Good tips on the meal planning! I need to get better at that!

April 19, 2017 at 7:58 pm

4. Danielle

April 18, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I really need to make a budget – or at least use mint.com to see where my money is going each month. That might help us better stick to our goals. Thanks for these great tips!

April 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Definitely! Budgeting is so important. It’s time consuming, but it relieves a lot of financial stress!

5. Amy

April 19, 2017 at 7:51 pm

So many great tips here! I definitely need to sit down and work out what I can cut out! I love the idea of using cash as well!

April 19, 2017 at 8:00 pm

It really does help me! I feel like it’s harder to hand away cash than it is to swipe a card.

6. Vivienne

April 19, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Great tips! As a mom, I always have a hard time keeping track of where all my money goes. I really like advice to open different accounts for certain things.

April 20, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Thank you! It really has helped me so much!

7. Priyadarshini Rajendran

April 19, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Great advice! Creating separate accounts is something I should try. Absolutely swear by the meal plan.

April 20, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Yes it totally helps me to keep my money well managed! And meal planning is a must!(:

8. Carli

April 20, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I genuinely love this. I absolutely LOVE the idea of paying for things in cash. I’ve tried to do this before but always cheat but I want to really dedicate to doing it. And separate accounts for different areas of spending is an excellent idea.

April 20, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Thank you! It really has helped our family so much. I’m super into organization, so the idea just came to me, and it’s worked well for us ever since!

9. Madison

April 20, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Love this post! So many helpful tips for saving money. Thank you!

April 20, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Thank you! Saving money is so hard in todays world, life is expensive!

10. Crystal @ OurLittleBunch

April 20, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Great advice!
    We’ve also cut out cable, we were paying about $70/month! We use Netflix now and online streaming, SO MUCH CHEAPER!
    We’ve been using spreadsheets as well to see what our monthly “in” and “out” are and whats left over. It really helps you evaluate what you need and what you don’t when you see it all written out like that!

April 21, 2017 at 7:09 pm

It really does! I never realized how much cable was until everyone started telling me what they were paying! It’s awful.

11. Kelly

April 20, 2017 at 7:53 pm

I have been considering getting rid of cable! It is so expensive and I rarely use it. Netflix is always my go to and Hulu adds anything from tv I would have wanted to watch anyway. Thanks for the tips!

April 21, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Yes cable is crazy expensive! I always go to hulu for newer shows, and netflix for movies!

12. Cait Weingartner

April 21, 2017 at 7:03 am

Thanks for sharing these great ideas. I save $150 a month by getting rid of my cable and using Sling TV, along with Netflix and Amazon.

April 21, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Awesome! I’ve never heard of sling tv, I will have to check it out!

13. Helene

April 21, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I’m so glad I read this because it just affirms that what my partner and I are doing is correct. We do everything on this list.

xo, Helene

April 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm

That’s great! It’s always reassuring to see that what you’re doing works for other people as well.

14. Johnny Appleseed

April 22, 2017 at 1:04 am

Amazing!

15. Melissa

May 2, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Love these tips, especially the separate accounts. I always try to separate everything so you know how much money you have for each thing -including an emergency fund! So important to prepare for the unexpected! I try and use credit cards more than cash though to build up good credit and for rewards, but I do stay on top of them as it’s easy to buy a lot of small things that add up without noticing!

May 3, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Definitely! I have all of my automatic withdraw payments charge to my credit card for the points! It always covers paying for our Christmas presents at the end of the year!

16. Diana

May 2, 2017 at 8:32 pm

This is sooooo helpful! Thank you for such a post!

May 3, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Of course! Budgeting is hard, anything we can do to help one another!

17. James

May 3, 2017 at 12:44 am

I can personally vouch for these techniques. In my experience though, the separate accounts worked for me at first. Once I got used to what was going where, the habit was instilled and I got rid of the extras. Good information.

May 3, 2017 at 6:52 pm

That’s awesome! So glad you were able to find a system that works well for you!

18. Kristin O'Ferrall

May 3, 2017 at 3:32 pm

You and I think alike. I just posted something with similar tactics. I have to say using CASH is one of the best ways to save. When we didn’t, we really got offtrack! Thanks for posting!

May 3, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Definitely! It’s so hard to spend cash, because you can physically see it withering away as your spending it, whereas on a card you’re oblivious!

19. Lian

May 3, 2017 at 3:56 pm

WE need to start doing this for our family. We have started to eliminate expenses we do not need, but I think we can trim more items. I like your idea of having separate accounts for certain expenses. I guess the best way to go about this would be to open them with an account that does not have any sort of monthly fees to continue to save money?

May 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Yes for sure! I love our credit union, I totally suggest credit union over a bank, way less fees and hassle!

20. Bethel Caña Esmillarin

May 3, 2017 at 4:16 pm

I love the idea of separating accounts. I got everything mixed up sometimes, even though I have my budget plan. Thanks for the great tips!

May 3, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Yes for sure!I regret not starting the separate accounts sooner! It would of helped prevent a good amount of credit card debt!

21. Melissa Jellie

May 3, 2017 at 8:47 pm

This was an interesting read! I super need to save money right now, so might try some of these techniques.

May 4, 2017 at 3:43 am

Yes try them and let me know if it works for you!

22. Mary Leigh

May 4, 2017 at 6:55 pm

We try to meal plan each week – I agree it helps a lot! We also cut cable about 5 years ago and we really haven’t regretted it. There are so many other ways to watch TV!

May 4, 2017 at 6:56 pm

There really are! My family barely even has time to watch tv anyway!